The recently renovated Downtown Library at the Plaza is the central location of the Midland County Public Libraries. It began in 1903 as a small construction project initiated by local women's groups that formed the Midland Library Association. Over the years, it has grown to a full-service library institution in Downtown Midland. The library underwent extensive renovations in 2018 and reopened a year later with a new look and feel.
The Petroleum Collection began in 1935 when the West Texas Geological Society voted to sponsor a technical library. The department is maintained through the gifts and donations of its patrons and local petroleum organizations and societies, and it is only available for viewing at the Downtown location. For more information, click here.
Each summer, the Downtown location hosts Library Lunches in partnership with the West Texas Food Bank. This program provides free grab-and-go meals for kids 18 and younger and encourages summer reading, lifelong literacy, and learning.