Get a Library Card
Patrons may sign up for a library card at the Downtown Library, Centennial Library, or on the Bookmobile. Be prepared to present a current government-issued photo ID and proof of current address. Please view the Accepted Documents page to view other valid forms of identification and residence. A current Texas driver license or state ID meets both requests. MCPL also requires a brief application form to be completed at the desk.
For a temporary online library card, fill out our online Sign-Up form or call us at 432-688-4320.
Are Library cards free?
Library cards are free for Midland County residents and property owners. MCPL also services residents of the counties surrounding Midland, including:
We do not currently issue library cards to out-of-state visitors or those outside of our service area.
Youth under age 18
There is no minimum age requirement to get a library card. In order for youth under age 18 to get a card, they must register under a responsible party.
- Parents and/or guardians must register any child in their care who is under the age of 18
- Parents and/or guardians are responsible for any items checked out to the minor's account
- Playaway Launchpads, Playaway View, and Bookpacks are not available to check out on a minor's card
- Midland ISD and Greenwood ISD students who do not have a library card may use their student credentials to access MCPL's e-books and e-audiobooks through the Sora app
OTHER TYPES OF CARDS
How do I renew my library card?
Expired library cards are barred from checking out library items, downloading e-books and e-audiobooks, and computer use. To update an expired card, visit a library location with a current photo ID or call circulation staff at (432) 688-4320. Only the responsible cardholder may renew/update their own card and/or any cards attached to their account. No minor may update their own card.
REPLACING LIBRARY CARDS
If your library card has been lost or stolen, please report the loss to library staff as soon as possible. In order to replace a lost or stolen card, we ask that you visit the circulation desk for a replacement. A replacement fee of $1.00 may be assessed.
- Accept responsibility for items checked out to the library card
- Follow all library policies and regulations
- Return all borrowed materials
- Pay all fees or charges on your card or any card for which you are responsible
- Report a lost/stolen card
- Report a change of address, phone number, and/or email
Library services that require a library card
- Borrowing physical and online items
- Using in-library game systems
- Using certain online databases
Services available without a library card
- Assistance of staff in person, online, and by phone
- Limited use of computers to access the Internet
- On-site wireless Internet access
- Printing, copying, faxing, and scanning
- Events, classes, and activities for all ages, including online